Wednesday, March 1, 2017

Imperfect Tense in Italian

For months, I've been practicing Italian daily on Duolingo in an attempt to get my skill tree completely gold (I completed it in September).  Recently, I practiced the "Verbs: Past Imperfect" skill again, and I realized something about the verb forms.

Here's a chart from the back of my Italian dictionary comparing present tense and imperfect tense (with mandare, to send):


There's a bit of a variation in the 1st person plural form, but otherwise, the difference between the present tense form and the imperfect tense form is the "-av-" infix between the verb stem and the endings.

After I realized this, it made the imperfect tense much easier because I was already familiar with this structure from Latin.  Here's a chart with the Latin verb forms for present and imperfect tenses (with laudare, to praise):


Where Italian inserts "-av-" to form the imperfect tense, Latin inserts "-ab-."  (My Latin textbook says, "-ba-," but since there are As on both side of the B, I think it could be considered either way.)  The first person singular form is a bit different, but this change between present tense and imperfect tense clearly demonstrates that Italian derived from Latin.