Sunday, September 24, 2017

4-Year Duolingo Streak!

Provided I've done my calendrical math correctly, as of to-day, I've done Duolingo every day for four years.


365 + 365 + 366 (2016 was a leap year) + 365 = 1461

So, to mark the occasion (I don't think celebrate is quite the right word), I started two more languages: Turkish and Romanian:



Even as I signed up for these and did the first lesson in each, I thought this was sort of a stupid thing to do.  I already started two languages this month (Czech and Irish), and I haven't progressed very far in those yet.  But if I've learned anything from Duolingo, it's that I'll learn at least a little bit as long as I consistently practice.  As Duo says, "Hard work always pays off in the end."


With regard to this new crop of languages I've started learning, "the end" (whatever it is) seems very far away, but - although it sounds like a cliché - I won't get any closer to "the end" unless I start.

This also brings my list of languages up to twenty:
  1. German (fall 2006)
  2. French (late 2008)
  3. Latin (August 2011)
  4. Italian (9 June 2014)
  5. Dutch (August? 2014)
  6. Spanish (2 May 2015)
  7. Norwegian (28 May 2015)
  8. Esperanto (28 May 2015)
  9. Danish (24 September 2015)
  10. Russian (2 November 2015)
  11. Polish (10 December 2015)
  12. Hebrew (21 June 2016)
  13. Greek (10 October 2016)
  14. Welsh (3 January 2017)
  15. Swedish (11 March 2017)
  16. Portuguese (11 March 2017)
  17. Czech (12 September 2017)
  18. Irish (15 September 2017)
  19. Turkish (24 September 2017)
  20. Romanian (24 September 2017)